ATX Community

Change from Cash to Accrual

Diane

I have never done this before, so am at a disadvantage in filling out Form 3115.

I've looked up the form and the instructions and am at a loss on how to fill

this out. Especially where it asks for the type of accounting method change

requested. Or, does the Form 3115 have to be filed for a change from Cash to

Accrual? Help.

Diane

>>does the Form 3115 have to be filed<<

Yes, it does in every case. Start by determining if the taxpayer is eligible for one of the Automatic Consent Procedures. According to the instructions to Schedule A, Form 3115, numbers 32, 33, 34, 122, 123, 126, 127, and 128 are the ones to look at first.

Hi, Diane,

I just had to re-acquaint myself with Form 3115, after half a decade (after having done quite a few, before then), for exactly this reason. It might well require inputting only Parts I, II, Schedule A, Part I -- and, in my most recent case, Schedule B, Part II -- for only *one* of the Automatic Consent Procedures -- e.g., # 34 in my client's case. I.e., a *lot* of Form 3115 might be inapplicable.

I've got a decent body of uptodate research to share. If you haven't knocked this off, yet, please feel free to contact me about it -- through the Members Contact ('direct message') area.

VTY, TaxCPANY