ATX Community

Incorrect withholding on W-2

JanMi

I have a young client (age 19) with incorrect SS & Medicare tax withholdings from his employer. In box 4 & 5 the employer

has -0-. In box 1 wages they have added what the employee's share and the employer's share would have been.

My tax program's diagnosics wants me to verify the authenticity of the w-2 with the employer. This W-2 was hand written and

the employer crossed out the wages in box 1 and re-entered the new wage amount .

This employer is a local farmer who hired my client. The employer clearly does not know how to fill out a W-2 and the

correct amount of withholdings. My question is do I contact the employer or do I have my client contact this employer and

have them contact me? I sure I can't file this W-2 the way it is, can I? Thank you.

Wow. I would try to figure out from the kid (good luck with that) if maybe the farmer paid both shares of the SS/MC tax and is doing his version of a "gross up" on the W-2. If so, I would probably use the amount in Box 1, check the box for handwritten, and keep moving.

Let the SSA send letter to farmer in June (or not), and farmer's accountant can deal with it.

I know that is the lazy way out, but it's March 12.