ATX Community

NT Stupid Criminal file

kcjenkins

Police in Prichard, Ala., watched a car pull into the department's parking lot. When the driver opened the door to get out, the smell of marijuana was overpowering. "It was real potent," said Maj. Marvin Whitfield. Officers found the car was stolen. A bag of marijuana was plainly visible on the car's center console, and a loaded gun was found under the front seat. "I've been doing police work for about 20 years, and I never knew of anybody bringing a half-pound of marijuana and a gun to a police station in a stolen car," Whitfield said. Chavis Sanders, 22, had come to the station to see if police would return the money they had confiscated from him during two previous drug arrests.

This story reminds me of the guy in Virginia a few years ago who was representing himself in a convenience store holdup case. The investigating officer was on the stand, and whenever the officer mentioned the store clerk in his testimony, he referred to her as "the witness".

Finally, in frustration, the defendant/lawyer blurted out, 'Man, why do you keep talking about a witness. There wasn't anybody there but her and me!"

Years ago, Paul Harvey told about two men and a women who decided to rob a convenience store in Selma, Alabama. The two men went inside to rob the store and the woman stayed in the car with the motor running. While she was waiting, she had to go to the bathroom so she locked the car while she went to use the bathroom which had an outside door. The two men came running out with the money and the getaway car was locked.

Years ago I read a story and I've always wondered about whether it actually happened. A couple of deputy sherrifs in a small town in Texas were questioning a suspect and they told him they were going to hook him up to a lie detector. They put a metal collander on his head and ran some wires from it over to a copy machine. When they'd ask him a querstion they would press the button on the copy machine and it would spit out a piece of paper that said "He's lying". After a half-dozen copies he confessed.