ATX Community

Identity Theft

barosser

>>Do I just sent to Social Security and let the Real person get it figured out??<<

I assume you already checked to make sure that's not YOUR Social Security number.

I had a client with a w2 her name and another person's ss#, my advise was get a new W2 issued. I advised her if she could not get a new one that she could call IRS and let them handle it,

Yes we are being over run by illegals, yes this is a hispanic who stole another hispanics name and SS# (justice or injustice not sure) No it is not my SS #. This employee presented a valid drivers license, social security card etc.... There was no reason to suspect anything was wrong till the police showed up looking for the employee.

thanks for the help in this matter.

According to the IRS (HAHAHA) I should file the information as I received it, and as it was paid and withheld from the employee. The individual (ID theft Victim) who will eventually receive a letter from the IRS has to take care of the matter at that time.

there is no system in place to handle this to prevent the non reporting of Income letters

If you know that the number is not theirs, you would be participating in their fraud if you merely prepare the W-2 with a name and number that you know is not correct. Do you really want to do that? Why not call ICE and ask them how you should report this problem?

"#. This employee presented a valid drivers license, social security card etc.... There was no reason to suspect anything was wrong till the police showed up looking for the employee."

WHOA, I am really getting confused. So this identity theft is ALLEGED? Did we get rid of the innocent until proven guilty for everybody now???

Paper file W2s with any documentation you do have (it doesn't sound like you have any) with a disclosure of why you have reason to believe that the Social Secuirity Number is incorrect. They won't read your letter, but your behind is still covered. Send packet Return Receipt Requested and keep proof of receipt. (Gee, I've never heard of the police making a mistake or questioning the wrong person and the guy probably has a really unusual name like Juan Hernandez.) lbb

"#. This employee presented a valid drivers license, social security card etc.... There was no reason to suspect anything was wrong till the police showed up looking for the employee."

WHOA, I am really getting confused. So this identity theft is ALLEGED? Did we get rid of the innocent until proven guilty for everybody now???

Paper file W2s with any documentation you do have (it doesn't sound like you have any) with a disclosure of why you have reason to believe that the Social Secuirity Number is incorrect. They won't read your letter, but your behind is still covered. Send packet Return Receipt Requested and keep proof of receipt. (Gee, I've never heard of the police making a mistake or questioning the wrong person and the guy probably has a really unusual name like Juan Hernandez.) lbb

lbb, isn't Juan Hernandez the guy who shills for Columbian Coffee??

Booger

>>According to the IRS... <<

I don't know where you got such instructions. It is not the official policy of the IRS that you should knowingly file false or fraudulent information returns. You should amend the previously filed documents or otherwise formally alert the IRS.

The problem with making the victim resolve his own problem is both ethical and technical. He has no access to confidential records in the IRS. But YOU do, because you are creating them. You yourself said, "something needs to be done." Well, this is the time to do something. Are you going to enable illegal immigrants, or are you going to stand with the "real person" that you mentioned in the original post?

Follow these steps for each SSN that failed verification:

Compare the failed SSN with your employment records. If you made a typographical error, correct the error and resubmit the corrected data.

If your employment records match your submission, ask your employee to check his/her Social Security card and inform you of any name or SSN difference between your records and his/her card. If your employment records are incorrect, correct your records and resubmit the corrected data.

If your employment record and the employee's Social Security card match, ask the employee to check with any local SSA Office to resolve the issue. Once the employee has contacted the SSA Office, he/she should inform you of any changes. You should correct your records accordingly and resubmit the corrected data.

If the employee is unable to provide a valid SSN, you are encouraged to document your efforts to obtain the correct information. (Documentation should be retained with payroll records for a period of three (3) years.)

If you are unable to contact the employee, you are encouraged to document your efforts.

If you have already sent a Form W-2 with an incorrect name and/or SSN, then submit a Form W-2c (Corrected Wage and Tax Statement) to correct the mismatch. W-2c services are available through BSO Wage Reporting. There is no need to re-register for your BSO User ID.

Note: Instructions to W-2 show 000-00-0000 for unknown number.