ATX Community

1040X question

Donny

client came in with 1 W2, return e-filed, rejected because someone had already claimed her, I know that now I need to mail return, she now has another w2, would I do a new return with both w2 to mail in or would I mail the original 1040 now and then do the amend. latter?

Right, the first thing to do is to determine if she should have not claimed herself, and while you are at that, also make sure she does not have some MORE W-2s and/or interest statements, unemployment, etc. Once you are sure that she SHOULD claim herself, you would file a paper return showing all income. Ignore the original return, because it was never accepted into the system, so this will be her first filing.

If, however, she was properly claimed by someone else, [her parents, perhaps] then you would be able to efile the return, once you unmark the box for her claiming herself. Include all income, of course, and efile just as if it were the first time.

If the efile return was rejected and never went through then there is no need to file a 1040X. Only file a 1040X if you have an accepted return that needs to be changed. If the return was rejected I would correct the return to add the additional information then e-file the return again. I usually wait for the first return to be processed all the way through before I would file a 1040X. Again in this case by what you wrote it doesn't appear that a 1040X is appropriate. Nena