ATX Community

Scottrade Transactions

Guest Taxed

Guest Taxed

Has anyone figured out how to import a spreadsheet with stock transactions in an excel spreadsheet format into the Capital Gains Worksheet of Form 8949?

I have a client with over 800 transactions!!! Scottrade lets you download them in an excel format for into to Turbotax etc. Nice!

I have not looked into this, but did ask my sales rep when I bought it. He said that we couldn't import a spreadsheet, but we can attach a pdf. And I *think* I saw a checkbox on the Sch D or 8949 for attaching a 1099B.

I have 3 (so far) that have large (but not 800) 1099Bs. I'll be working on the first of these tonight. I'll let you know what I learn. Or, if you beat me to it, you can post what you find.

No appointments tonight - I'm going out to dinner!

I'm guessing if I go the pdf route, I only attach the pages with the transactions on it. I'm not sure what IRS would do with the whole statement. And the one I'll work on tonight send me a pdf of the whole statement. I've had trouble before creating a pdf of only some pages in an existing pdf. I've either gotten weird characters or bad quality.

Something else to play with tonight (if I don't just enter the whole thing.)

Guest Taxed

Thankx. pls. keep us posted how you did it. My client is not due to see me until 3/15. I can't remember the form # that you use to mail in a hard copy of the 1099B incase PDF does not work. basically you wait until the IRS ack is received and then you write the DCN on that form and mail the hard copy.

Guest Taxed

Thanks. Drew a blank for a minute. I guess if the stock transaction PDF attachment does not work, then i have no choice but to go the old fashioned paper route!

Amazing how TurboTax can do it but TW can't! Got to talk to them at the IRS conference. They are getting beat by a home tax prep software! Makes me look bad because this new client used to do Turbo Tax and because he got married, picked up a rental that his GF had, he wants me to do the return professionally! But my stupid software can't import stock transactions.

The one last night wasn't too bad afterall. Only a 15 - 20 sales. Why Ameriprice now thinks the client needs this spread over 4 accounts and a 45 page 1099 Consolidatd is beyond me. Oh and all the trades are mutual funds.

Yes, TW should be able to have the features that Turbo Tax does.