ATX Community

correcting a 1099

Marie

I need to correct a 1099 Misc.- the amount was wrong. Can I do thru the program, can I efile the corrected? I tried to duplicate the original and mark corrected, but I get an error saying i can't do it that way. Do I go into the original and change, I've already efiled the original. Can anyone guide me thru, or will it have to be a paper correction?

I've tried. I made a new file marked correct, but when I try to create the efile I get the message: One or more correction boxes have been selected, but return doesn't appear to be in an "accepted" efile status, Corrections should only be made to the accepted Original return not duplicated returns. Should I go into t he original file and make another 1099 with the correct figures and then try to efile. Can I efile a corrected 1099? Maybe that's the problem?

It has been awhile since I have corrected a 1099 so I thought I had it right. Just checked and this is how you do it.

Open up the original 1099 file, make sure that the Complete box is not checked.

Make the correction to the original 1099, mark that 1099 corrected.

Create the efile. There should now be a box for 1099c in the efile dialogue box.

That should work.

Over the years this situation has arisen may times. Real easy to correct, rather than try to get issuer to change/correct. List the full amount as income then treat the supposed error as a return. If you wish to be real "proper" attach a note of explanation. Do not forget to think about those who brought about the fiasco of the last few years and your congressman who may be in the pay of the special interests, the people that write our tax laws..