ATX Community

When do they start the free 2012 demos?

Kea

The one partnership return that I do cannot be e-filed this year according to TaxWise. It doesn't seem to me like there should be anything preventing it, but I'm not much of a partnership expert. This return has Codes A, B & C on line 14 of the K1 (self employment). It's a farm that had income, but a net loss & sold an asset (non-farm income).

Will any company let me download their software before Tuesday to try this return for free? I could put it on extension or even paper file, but I'd really rather just e-file before the deadline - if possible.

Guest Taxed

Drake will give you the 2012 version on 4/17 BUT NO Efile. I seriously doubt any major brand will let you e-file for free using their software on a trial basis.

How about that free software some guys were bragging about.

If I was in your position I would just paper file and be done!

Client already signed e-file. I may have to paper file, but we'll see. I did download a free for 2012 program demo. Haven't yet installed to see if it will efile. Their office is open tomorrow morning. I'll call if I get up early enough.

Guest Taxed

You have them sign the e-file authorization before it passes e-file diagnostics in Taxwise? That is risky business my friend.

I will only print the e-file authorization when I know I can efile. Now if it gets rejected for somereason at least i have proof that the EFC accepted it but IRS or DOR rejected it. We will paperfile then.

Had one where EFC accepted it but the DOR rejected it because one of the taxpayers was deceased in 2011. DOR wanted paper filing. I did not do 2012 and we are not sure how 2012 was filed. Wife has no clue!

I seriously doubt anyone will let you e-file for free before the deadline.