ATX Community

Montana e-file - Help Please

jmallard

Hi everyone,

This is my first Montana Tax Return and I intend to e-file.

When I select Create E-file in the ATX software the choices come up to file Montana as "Piggyback" and "State Only". Piggyback is already checked by the software. Is this the correct way to e-file the Montana return?

First time I have ran across the term, "piggyback" - 99% of my state returns are California.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Is the federal return ready to be sent? If so, send them piggyback and the state and fed will be sent at the same time.

California is a direct state - the return doesn't go to the IRS but transmits straight to the FTB.

http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/providers/artic...d=97716,00.html

"Q. How does Federal/State e-file work?

A. Federal/State e-file allows the electronic filing of both Federal and State income tax returns at the same time. The electronic filing software places the Federal and State return data in separate packets. These packets are transmitted to the IRS in one taxpayer "envelope." The IRS functions as an electronic post office for the participating State, which receives and processes the state electronic return.

Q. What is State Only e-file?

A. Taxpayers will have the choice of e-filing a State Return without the standard Form 1040 attached for the following instances:

Previously rejected state e-file return

State return input separately from Federal return

Part-year resident state return

Multiple state returns for one taxpayer

Non-resident state returns

Married filing separately with state, but filing jointly with Federal"