ATX Community

Refundo for $27

Guest Taxed

Guest Taxed

Got an e-mail that i thought was spam (probably is). There is an outfit called Refundo.com that offers tax prep fee collection for a flat $27 and claims to work with any tax prep software?

Anybody heard of them or used them in the past? Pros and cons?

Guest Taxed

Let's see if I run into them at this years IRS forums? Sounds interesting but I have never used bank products before and if I do next season I don't want a company that has questionable reputation.

You have to make your own call, but when it comes to tax prep fee collection, I would be VERY careful about turning that over to any outside company. It will affect not only that client but possibly others as well, if word of that gets out. IMHO, its sometimes better to write it off, or to offer a client extra time to pay. The thing is, you want to keep the relationship professional, not like an off-the-shelf business. Talking to the client personally will keep you on the high ground. Just my 2 cents worth.

Guest Taxed

I only have a handful of clients (inherited from a practice i purchased earlier) who were used to paying the tax prep fee out of their refunds. Since I have not done bank products before I had to wait till they received their refund to get paid (with follow up calls).

If I used a bank product, it would be very limited use with these type of clients only.

I could fire those clients next season but in my small town word spreads like fire (especially at Church and Bingo halls)!