ATX Community

One automovile/two business

Lucho

Couple might need my service this year. They have a new van that is being used for two different businesses. Husban does deliveries early in the morning and wife Janitorial services during evenings. I find that the only way to report car expenses will be claiming miles because of two schedules Cs.

I don't see a clear picture of how to claim section 179 or depreciation. Your imput will be appreciated. I will meet them during this weekend.

Thank you.

Why can't you split the vehicle between two Sch C? You enter the vehicle twice; asset entry for each biz. You enter total expenses for the vehicle on each and let the program allocate when you put in the biz miles per each biz. So van is driven 40000 miles total, 10000 for one biz, 20000 for the other and 10000 personal. one biz gets half usage, the other gets a quarter, and one quarter is personal. I've done this for my car which is used for rentals as well as my biz.

Why can't you split the vehicle between two Sch C? You enter the vehicle twice; asset entry for each biz. You enter total expenses for the vehicle on each and let the program allocate when you put in the biz miles per each biz. So van is driven 40000 miles total, 10000 for one biz, 20000 for the other and 10000 personal. one biz gets half usage, the other gets a quarter, and one quarter is personal. I've done this for my car which is used for rentals as well as my biz.

Thank you for your answer.

Have a nice weekend.