ATX Community

In need of tax prep packages

GeorgeM

I am in need of any tax preparation packages for the years 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, and 1996. Preferably ATX Saber or Max, but any tax preparation programs will work.

If anyone has these could you please contact me at [email protected].

Thank you

George, I recommend that you call ATX and get copies of their software for as far back as they have, I believe they're $20 each. Beyond that, it may sound tacky, but try also Turbotax.

>>tax preparation packages for the years 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, and 1996<<

At a seminar last year TaxWare (www.taxwaresystems.com) distributed a free CD with "individual, depreciation and entities for years 1991 through 2005." I have not tried it, but I would expect something like that to be more useful than getting original programs. The old programs weren't very good to begin with. You may recall endless compatibility issues, especially concerning printers.

Windows 2000 and XP don't even try to run all the DOS applications so you might need to haul your old 486 out of storage, and then copy the calculations from the screen onto paper returns. Even if you can get a system running, you will find the software very inadequate by today's standards. Diagnostics were extremely weak, especially in low-end products which hardly even reported missing data. Only the most common forms were included. Depreciation was often a separate module which might not even include all the options, and sometimes had inaccurate arithmetic based on faulty (and unidentified) assumptions.

I still have the lapel pin I got in 1992 -- "I survived computerization at H&R Block!"

I have copies of ATX back to 1994. As Jainen had stated, there were compatability issues in some of the previous years. Some years the operating system is a problem as well. 1997 ATX was a problem and for me to use it, I had to load it on a 566 (Ithink) machine to get it to work. Send me an e-mail ([email protected]) with your phone number and we can discuss how to get the previous years to you. Don EA in upstate NY helped me with these but they had to be compatable with WinXP which I had to purchase from ATX anyway. Let me know

Terry D.