ATX Community

TAX REBATE

JACKSORH

Will a person who receives SSI benefits be eligible for the tax rebate? Will they have to file a return to receive this money?

Thanks for your speedy reply. :)

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=179095,00.html

Dividends, interest and capital gains income is not included when determining qualifying income. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) does not count as qualifying income for the stimulus payment. Also not included in qualifying income are non-veterans or non-Social Security pension income (such as those from Individual Retirement Accounts).

All the information you need is here:

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=177937,00.html

You should probably get very familiar with all the points. You will certainly need to know them.

>>All the information you need is here:<<

... except how much they're going to get! Occasionally one of our clients might be interested in that minor detail. My software is calculating an estimate of that figure for each return I do.

From the IRS website...

<"If you are eligible for a payment, all you have to do is file a 2007 tax return and the IRS will do the rest," said Acting IRS Commissioner Linda Stiff.>

< The IRS will use information on the 2007 tax return filed by the taxpayer to determine eligibility and calculate the amount of the stimulus payments.>

<The IRS will mail two informational notices to taxpayers advising them of the stimulus payments. However, taxpayers should be alert for tax rebate scams such as telephone calls or e-mails claiming to be from the IRS and asking for sensitive financial information. The IRS will not call or e-mail taxpayers about these payments nor will it ask for financial information. Scam e-mails and information about scam calls should be forwarded to [email protected].>

<Notices

Most taxpayers will receive two notices from the IRS. The first general notice from the IRS will explain the stimulus payment program. The second notice will confirm the recipients' eligibility, the payment amount and the approximate time table for the payment. Taxpayers will need to save this notice to assist them when they prepare their 2008 tax return next year.>

I choose not to get into the "predict the future" game when it comes to the actions, calculations, or follow-through of the IRS. There is nothing I can do to change what will happen.