ATX Community

Form 990 e-file error

JJStephens

I just got an e-file rejection of a Form 990. It's error code F990-055. I can't find it in Form 1345-A or anywhere else.

The error message ATX reports says, "If Form 990, line 92 checkbox is not checked, then neither SSN or PTIN of the Preparer nor EIN of the Preparer Firm can be provided."

What confuses me is that line 92 is seemingly unrelated to anything having to do with this error message. The caption for line 92 says, "Section 4947(a)(1) nonexempt charitable trusts filing Form 990 in lieu of Form 1041—Check here" This entity is not a nonexempt charitable trust. I find it hard to believe our good uncle doesn't want my ID info if the the entity is not a nonexempt charitable trust.

I'm probably missing something really simple. Does anyone have a clue what's going on and (better yet) what to do about it?

I had the same error, and yes they are not related. You have to delete your PTIN and recreate the efile, then it will go through. The IRS told me that it was to protect us from ourselves. Since the 990 is a public document, the efile won't be accepted with your PTIN, which would be displayed for anyone to see, if transmitted with the efile document.