ATX Community

OneDesk MFJ Vs. MFS Tool

mrichman333

This is my third year using one-desk and for the first time I tried to use the MFJ/MFS tool.  I could have easily figured it my self for this couple but thought it would be nice to print it out for them.   Well it came up with a CRAY number for their Itemized deductions.

Total itemized deductions were $28,663 (Real-estate tax, state tax, Mortg. Int and Mortg. Insurance)

It showed the joint return totals which were exactly as in the return. 

BU for Him it shows $28,492 in itemized deductions and $20,756 for her :scratch_head:

Has anyone used this feature?

It makes me nervous when a feature doesn't work because I start to wonder what else isn't working that's not so obvious

Edited by mrichman333

You are correct. I tried to do a comparison on one of my MFJ returns and sure enough they were each given an itemized deduction that when totaled up was more than the MFJ itemized deduction. I agree and do not like it at all when these kind of things happen. It really does make you wonder what else is going on that we don;t know. Should be a call to support to figure this out. Also, I noticed the program has the 2013 instructions for NC. That doesn't make me happy either.

You are correct. I tried to do a comparison on one of my MFJ returns and sure enough they were each given an itemized deduction that when totaled up was more than the MFJ itemized deduction. I agree and do not like it at all when these kind of things happen. It really does make you wonder what else is going on that we don;t know. Should be a call to support to figure this out. Also, I noticed the program has the 2013 instructions for NC. That doesn't make me happy either.

I'll give them a call latter and see what they say.   If it doesn't allow you to chose how to divide the itemized deductions then it is a totally useless tool.

I plan on doing the same thing but just haven't had time. Hopefully I will be able to do this tomorrow. have you noticed any old instructions? I am really questioning any of the instructions that I am reading within the program. Just plainly makes me nervous.

I did see old instructions I just don't remember where.   

Just spoke with Dan at OneDesk about these issues. He will send the items that I questioned off to engineering to have them look in to it. These two issues are: one, the MFJ & MFS comparison tool that does not work properly when the client's itemized deductions. I did explain to him that the tool appears to work well for non-itemizers. Two, the wrong year instructions for the NCD400. I did not tell him there were other old instructions as I did not know what State they would be for. Now all we can do is wait for the update.