ATX Community

Deceased and ATX

Howard

I have a rather perplexing situation:

One of my clients, who has always filed as MFS passed away last year. Upon doing his tax return, he neither owes nor receives a refund, as he was a self-employed individual who was not around long enough to make enough money to do either (I never charge for a final return, but want to get his filed none-the-less). The problem is this: The software continues to reject the IRS Efiling, as it is asking for the personal representative information, but will neither accept it on the Spouse's line, as he is MFS, nor on the Form 1310, as he does not get a refund. Yes, as always, the Spouse's name and SSN do appear on the proper spots on his return.

Where do I add the Personal Representative's information to get this to accept? I would have thought on the Filer's Info page, but it does not appear to go there, either. His Spouse has already been accepted with both IRS & CA as MFS, and his has already been accepted from CA.

Very wierd....suggestions??

Thanks,

Howard

I have not had this situation, so I am guessing, but did you by any chance continue to use the 8879 pin information for the e-file? I think since he is deceased you would need the 8453 to be signed by the personal representative and enclose the certificate with the 8453 when mailing it in. Just a guess.

No 8453 for any signatures this year. Even personal rep's and POA's can use the pin and sign 8879's this year.

8453's are only for sending in documentation to IRS>

Bring one up and look at it.

Such as Statement for Sch D. You will also see the box to check for using a statement to attach to Sch D when there are hundreds of stock sales all detailed on the broker' statement. Then you can put the totals ST and LT on sch D and attach the broker's statement to the 8453. More accurate, less input time, and more reasonable fee can be charged the client.