Jump to content
ATX Community

Gail in Virginia

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


1 Follower

About Gail in Virginia

  • Rank
    ATX Supreme Guru

Contact Methods

  • AIM
  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • State
  • Gender
  • Interests
    Church, Reading, Music, BSA and other Youth programs

Recent Profile Visitors

11,064 profile views
  1. I know I can't remember the first one, maybe two, programs we used. Then TaxWise, Drake, ATX, ProSeries.
  2. A54. You should return the payment as described below. If the payment was a paper check: Write "Void" in the endorsement section on the back of the check. Mail the voided Treasury check immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below. Don't staple, bend, or paper clip the check. Include a note stating the reason for returning the check. If the payment was a paper check and you have cashed it, or if the payment was a direct deposit: Submit a personal check, money order, etc., immediately to the appropriate IRS location listed below. Write on the check/money order made payable to “U.S. Treasury” and write 2020EIP, and the taxpayer identification number (social security number, or individual taxpayer identification number) of the recipient of the check. Include a brief explanation of the reason for returning the EIP. For your paper check, here are the IRS mailing addresses to use based on the state: If you live in…then mail to this address Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, VermontAndover Internal Revenue Service 310 Lowell St. Andover, MA 01810 Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Virginia Atlanta Internal Revenue Service 4800 Buford Hwy Chamblee, GA 30341 Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, TexasAustin Internal Revenue Service 3651 S Interregional Hwy 35 Austin, TX 78741 New YorkBrookhaven Internal Revenue Service 5000 Corporate Ct. Holtsville, NY 11742 Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, WyomingFresno Internal Revenue Service 5045 E Butler Avenue Fresno, CA 93888 Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, Ohio, West VirginiaKansas City Internal Revenue Service 333 W Pershing Rd. Kansas City, MO 64108 Alabama, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee Memphis Internal Revenue Service 5333 Getwell Rd. Memphis, TN 38118 District of Columbia, Idaho, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island Philadelphia Internal Revenue Service 2970 Market St. Philadelphia, PA 19104 A foreign country, U.S. possession or territory*, or use an APO or FPO address, or file Form 2555 or 4563, or are a dual-status alien.Austin Internal Revenue Service 3651 S Interregional Hwy 35 Austin, TX 78741
  3. My guess is that if the date of death is prior to the date of the check, or the date of direct deposit, it is supposed to be returned. However, I don't know who and how that will be enforced. I don't know anything that isn't in the frequently asked questions, and i don't think they have enough detail to answer your question definitively. So someone else's guess is as good as mine.
  4. Thanks for posting this question. I have a filer whose daughter tried to claim the stimulus by using the non-filer tool, and we are now going to paper file the return for the parents. I was assuming that use of this tool was the reason they could not e-file since the daughter swore she had not filed a return (she had no income, so I don't know why she would.) However, according to her she was turned down for the stimulus payment. The interesting thing is that 2019 was the last year the parents would be able to claim the daughter. So i think that she will be entitled to the stimulus payment on her 2020 return, but the parents were entitled to claim her on their 2019 return. So had she gotten the check, there would have been no real reason for it to be returned. I think.
  5. I try to help people that call me too BUT if I tell them that the rules say they won't get the money, and they argue that they should anyway, I don't see much choice but to direct them to someone who can do something about it. That isn't me, and it really isn't the IRS - it is Congress.
  6. I think if you re-read the OP, you will see that while kid went to school half the year in 2018, he did not go at all in 2019 and 2019 is the year that was asked about.
  7. Or provide the appropriate phone number for their congress person. Ot they can call the office of the President since his name is on every check, or the letter that follows up direct deposits and checks.
  8. ProSeries is able to allow filing three years because the IRS allows filing three years.
  9. My gut agrees, for what that is worth.
  10. I think you are correct. The parent might be able to claim the kid if the income for the kid was low enough to qualify as an other dependent since the parent provided 100% of support. However, for head of household the kid would have to live with the parent for more than half of the year except for temporary absences such as school. Living in another state, even in a home the parent pays for, is not living with the parent. And it can't be considered a temporary absence for school since the kid wasn't in school. That would be my take on the situation.
  11. And yet WC is not a payroll cost for purposes of the PPP? At least, that is what I understood from an earlier discussion on here.
  12. I am not sure of a site, but I believe that you are correct. The 529 pans - Virginia 529 prePAID, Virginia 529 inVEST, College America, CollegeWealth - are the only ones that are deductible to the state.
  13. According to the instructions for Form 1041, funeral expenses are only deductible on form 706 - not on form 1041. This is also what I have always been taught. When I did a Google search, however, there were several articles stating that funeral expenses could be deducted on the 1041. I don't think that is correct, but now I will have to do some more research to be sure.
  14. I think I would treat this as a commission paid. And it might depend on how long the lease is as to whether I would amortize it.
  15. Obviously that is more likely to work. On the other hand, I did not do anything to request this check, I filed a 2018 return notifying the IRS of my mother's death, they were also notified by SSA, and yet they sent this anyway and now I have to take the time to address an envelope, pay for an envelope and stamp, to send them back the check I did not want in the first place? Gotta love the guvmint.
  • Create New...