ATX Community

PENSION INCOME CARRYING INCORRECTLY

mrichman333

I a retired elderly woman who receives a NYC pension, NY DOES NOT TAX PENSION INCOME FROM NY OR NYC.   The woman moved to NJ the end of 2013.  The pension is taxable in NJ.  BUT THE PROGRAM KEEPS CARRYING THE AMOUNT TO NY.  SHE DOEN NOT NEED TO FILE A NY RETURN.

I have no desire to do a computer share!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow after re-reading this I realized that I meant I am questioning almost every entry. I have called Dan about the poor MFS vs MFJ when itemizing problem. no return phone calls. It appears the support is dropping off this year as well. Another reason to make me re-think purchasing next year.

Wow after re-reading this I realized that I meant I am questioning almost every entry. I have called Dan about the poor MFS vs MFJ when itemizing problem. no return phone calls. It appears the support is dropping off this year as well. Another reason to make me re-think purchasing next year.

I did a computer share with Dan, and know it's a glitch with this person, so I told him I knew what it was and thanked him for his help.

The program is for some reason remembering she used to be a NY resident.  In 2013 she moved to NJ and for 2013 she did a part year for both states.  2014 she is a full year NJ resident.  I checked to make sure NJ was selected as her state of resident, when I went to her NJ return it showed Full Year Resident.  I checked that her NJ address was in the personal information, it was.   BUT the program was acting like she was still a NY resident.  

Like I said EVEN IF she lived in NY, pension income from a NY government agency is NOT taxable in NY.

I entered the pension income in a different return and it did not trigger a NY return, so I'm convinced the program is still treating her as a NY resident and not NJ.

STILL this is a big problem.  Her last return showed she moved out of NY to NJ.

Will do, too busy to even think about it at this time. What if you tried to delete the NY return and added it when the Fed and NJ are completed? Does NY have an entry to show the amount of pension not taxable to NY? In NC we have an entry field for non-taxable government retirement benefits. Just wondering.

• Like 1

Will do, too busy to even think about it at this time. What if you tried to delete the NY return and added it when the Fed and NJ are completed? Does NY have an entry to show the amount of pension not taxable to NY? In NC we have an entry field for non-taxable government retirement benefits. Just wondering.

I deleted the NY return  and left it at that.