ATX Community

Another OneDesk Snafu

Terry D EA

Be careful when using the 1040 ES worksheet. If you allow the program to calculate the estimate based on the 2014 tax due, it puts the total amount of estimated tax due for the year on each quarter 1040ES. This was extremely embarrassing in front of my client. They asked if I could calculate estimates for them and when I did, it came out wrong. Now, giving OneDesk the benefit of the doubt, this is the first time I have used their worksheet to calculate the estimated tax so maybe there is an input issue on my end. But, I entered the tax payments for each quarter manually.

Also, working on a return where a 1099G has an amount in box 6 for scholarships and grants. The program continued to calculate a tax due to the State where the 1099G came from. The filer's location shouldn't trigger a tax due in that State. Clients were not residents of that State nor were they ever a resident of that State. They work and live in NC. The only way I stopped the program from bringing in the other State was to complete the return. I deleted the return for the wrong State and it still continued to pull it in until I completed the return. Be ware.

I have used the 1040 ES a few times and the numbers never seem right.  I do it manually.  The estimate based on the 2014 tax due is WRONG. I didn't bother trying to figure out why.

I have more and more concerns all the time with this program and I am checking things I shouldn't have to.

My fear is there are thing I did not pick up not only this year but the last two I've used the program.  Next year 2012 returns will be looked at to meat the three year decline.  I'm afraid clients will receive notices due to things the program messed up.

I am equally concerned and I am hoping that no notices will be sent. I do, and I am sure you do as well, have some very involved tax returns that would take major hours to check every calculation to be sure they were correct. Of course, and as you know, we can't blame the program on an error when we talk to the IRS. I have not received any return phone calls from Dan. I have left three messages and there has not even been an attempt to call me back. This too makes me wonder. He was Johnny on the spot returning phone calls.

I have some returns with a lot of depreciable items and I'm worried that the amounts did not calculate correctly in the years after the asset was placed in service.  I notice this year that on Assets that I took a 179 deduction

n, the dep. for the current year calculated correctly, but when I looked at the schedule of future dep. it calculated the dep. of the FULL amount, it did not account for the 179 deduction.   I'm hoping it's just the schedule and that this didn't happen in previous years. 

I'm hoping this is not a TRX thing all over again.