ATX Community

Sch E - Active Participation

catax

If a taxpayer has an out of state rental and contract with a property management company can they be considered to actively participate in their rental? They do make some management decisions, some involvement in approving new tenants, approve all expenditures and other decisions regarding the rental are ultimately theirs to make. They even travel to the rental a few times or more to check on things. What are your thoughts on if they actively particpate or not? What if the property was not out of state do you think that hiring a management company would cause the taxpayer to be an active participant?

If a taxpayer has an out of state rental and contract with a property management company can they be considered to actively participate in their rental? They do make some management decisions, some involvement in approving new tenants, approve all expenditures and other decisions regarding the rental are ultimately theirs to make. They even travel to the rental a few times or more to check on things. What are your thoughts on if they actively particpate or not? What if the property was not out of state do you think that hiring a management company would cause the taxpayer to be an active participant?

I think they are active....I would not remove "active" status from a landlord solely based on the fact they run it through a management company. It sounds like they "activily" make decisions that affect the rental and even physically go there on occasion.

>>just relinquish all control to another and have nothing to do with it at all?<<

Yes. That's when they say, don't call me with any problems, you figure it all out and just send me a rent check every month. Active participation isn't a very high standard. Reviewing the management company's notes once a year is probably enough. Don't confuse it with material participation, though.

>>just relinquish all control to another and have nothing to do with it at all?<<

Yes. That's when they say, don't call me with any problems, you figure it all out and just send me a rent check every month. Active participation isn't a very high standard. Reviewing the management company's notes once a year is probably enough. Don't confuse it with material participation, though.

You hit the nail on the head. In my mind I was confusing active participation with material participation. I wasn't so concerned with my clients with rentals close to home but was more concerned with the ones that were out of state. I appreciate everyones clarification I can't see were any of my clients wouldn't qualify for "active particpation", however, some will be phased out. I haven't had a case yet were one qualified for "material participation". Thank for clearing that up for me.