ATX Community

Why is ATX chewing up gigabytes of my server disk space?

FreedomTaxed

We came in a few days ago and ATX 2014 wouldn't roll over. Then we noticed ATX 2011 said it had run out of disk space. "There's lots of space on that drive" I had thought. I checked and all the free space was gone. It's a 1 terabyte drive! The employee share was only 4GB, and the scans were about the same. ATX had filled up 996 GB.

Clients were sitting there pissed, as I moved the ATX 1999 to ATX 2002 files off the server drive and set the trash bin to 10GB. At the end of these hurried actions I had 18GB free. Whew! Suddenly we could do things.

I come in this morning, a scant 2 days later, and I'm down to 4GB free.

:dunno:

What the heck is going on? I'm moving more ATX years onto another drive (I'm moving ATX 2003 now), but this is still a ridiculous amount of disk usage.

Well, tech support doesn't know what I'm talking about, Jack. Here's what my D: drive on the server looks like:

D:ATX

D:EMPLOYEES

D:SCANS

The EMPLOYEES and SCANS folders are only 10-11 GB.

I did an investigation just now and determined that the D:ATX2013BACKUPDATABASE folder is now 748GB. That's 3/4 of the entire drive. The darned thing is making an entire copy of its database every day or so.

I'm going to call back and ask 'em how to turn that off.

I took a closer look and found ATX2013 was making a new backup of itself every hour, since 2014-12-06 (when we installed the new server), meaning it's made over 2800 copies of itself.

I'm calling tech support to get this feature turned off.

That should be once a day or once a week since it is last year.  Ask for a higher grade technician.  There is a place to change that.  I just don't remember where it is.

I ran the ATX2013 admin console, and chose the "file settings" tab. The backup frequency is right there, and I set it to "Daily" instead of "Hourly". I've been deleting the excess saved database folders.

The perils of our company's learning curve, I suppose.  :mad:

Monitor it to see if it has changed it.  I have a "fix" utility that was run on my server.  I know I saved it, but can't seem to locate it.  Are you using a domain server or peer to peer?