ATX Community

Paycycle payroll

preacher

Are there any practioners in Ohio that are using or have used Paycycle to prepare payrolls? If so, what has been your experience with it? How does it do covering the cities and school taxes? Any feed back would be appreciated.

:D

I use paycycle here in Michigan. I can't answer for Ohio, but for Federal and Michigan it works well. Pretty mindless. Once you've set-up your client, you just choose an employee, enter the hours and it calculates everything. The system sends me email's whenever something is due to be filed, or paid. I use the versacheck option, prints on blank check stock... same check stock for all my small accounts. Call them, they are pretty helpful on the phone..

Pam

I converted from Quickbooks built-in payroll to PayCycle in Jan 2006. It was not pretty. At the time I had only about 8 payroll clients. It took forever to get everything set up. Every payroll run took 1.5 to 2 times as long to process. Quarterly processing took at least twice as long. I made a simple mistake on one payroll--even with their slow-to-respond tech support's help it took half a day to fix. After four months I bit the bullet and limped back to QB. By then, PC's fee for my eight clients had already cost me considerably more than QB's annual fee.

The concept is great. Alas, at least for me it didn't pan out. One of the problems is that every piece of data you enter is done on a separate entry screen. In any event, having to enter one piece of data, send it and retrieve the next screen to enter one more piece of data seemed terribly inefficient. They could consolidate a lot and speed things along. I found their support staff to be friendly . . . but slow to respond and not always so knowledgable.

As for their ability to handle the nuances of Ohio payroll, I'd say they were mediocre. I don't know if they have responded to my (and a lot of other's) complaints about lack of support for Ohio school district and local tax filings--if not you'll have to handle those manually. Ditto with workers' comp.

Lots of folks must like it. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me or for the couple of other folks I know who tried it. Hope this helps!