ATX Community

TRAVEL NURSE ISSUE

wendybooth

I have a client that last year diceided to become a travel nurse. She has income in NC, FL and AZ. The majority being in FL. Is she considered a resident of NC the whole year? She still has NC drivers liscense. This is the first travel nurse that I have done. She has been client for 3 years now. Young single and on the move. She has stated that she will be in FL for all of 08 if this helps.

FL 15265

AZ 4843

NC 1391

My problem is that most of her income is in FL and NC is charging state tax on her of 883.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wendy Booth

>>Is she considered a resident of NC the whole year?<<

What are the rules in your state? Every place is different, but I would guess that N.C. presumes she is still a resident because she has not moved anywhere else. If she wants to be considered a resident of Florida, she will need to take proactive steps such as getting new driver and professional licenses, mailing address, banking, church and other business and personal contacts. Besides getting all those new contacts in Florida, she has to close out all the old ones in N.C. (Of course, she can keep her same tax preparer!)