ATX Community

Form 8832 Late Election

David

H & W business owners filed Sch C for their business in their 2014 tax return. 2014 was the first year for their business. The Sch C listed only the H as the owner.

TPs intended to be a partnership and didn't realize the tax return filed for them treated the business as a SMLLC.

I am preparing their 2015 tax return. I think I can file a 8832 for them to be taxed as a mulit member LLC retroactively back to 1/1/15. But I don't think they can get late election relief for 2014, their first year in business. Even though the 8832 is being filed within 3 years and 75 days, doesn't the fact that they already filed their 2014 tax return disqualifiy them from being able to amend and file a 1065 for 2014? 

Has anyone had this situation before? Were you successful getting everything amended and filing a 1065 back to the beginning year of the business? Or can I only file the 1065 for 2015?

Also, what usually flies as far as the reason the 8832 wasn't timely filed?

Thanks. 

I saw this post earlier and have thought about it.  

You need to look at the Articles of Organization for the LLC and see whether H is the only member, or if W is also listed.

If H is the only member of the LLC, then Sch C is correct.  He cannot elect to be taxed as a partnership unless there is another member legally added to the LLC.

If H and W are listed as members of the LLC, then you can amend 2014 to remove Sch C and report on form 1065.  If they are both active in the business, I don't think the tax will change.

That's my two cents, and I'm giving you a bump

• Like 2

Thanks for your help.

The articles of organization for Colorado only ask if there are one or more members. It doesn't list names. So a single or multi-member LLC would check this box. I always thought it was strange to have that question since all LLCs would check the box.