ATX Community

Final Return (Individual)

Terry D EA

In the past, I prepared the taxes for a couple who ended up only having social security income. They were not required to file and told them so and felt kinda guilty taking their money for no reason. The gentleman passed away a few years ago and just this year his wife has passed. There is no estate, the family did hire an attorney to go thru the normal processes. Again, no 1041 is needed. Is there any reason to file a final return for the both of them? If there is, could we file a final MFJ return or would they have to be separate returns due to the time between each of them passing. Thanks for any suggestions here.

This question will garner different opinions.  I always file a final return.  It may not be required but it puts the tax world on notice.  And I find that most especially important in this era of rampant identity theft.  Now, that said, I have never filed a return for someone that has "passed away a few years ago".  All of mine have been timely.  For sure, MFJ is not an option.  Not sure what I would do with his - maybe go back to the year he passed and file with that year form.  But hers I would file now. 

• Like 2