ATX Community

dependant worksheet

Pat

>>Does ATX have a dependant worksheet?<<

You mean a worksheet to determine whether you provided more than half of a person's support? Worksheet 3-1 on page 32 of Pub 17 has been around for ages (IRS stole it from H&R Block decades ago), and there is nothing better. Photocopy it and go to work with a pencil (and eraser). It was originally designed for what is now the qualifying relative support test, but with a little thought you can use it for qualifying child as well. Besides giving an excellent breakdown of support factors, it is how we know that AFDC and SSI are considered to be third party support.

You mean a worksheet to determine whether you provided more than half of a person's support? Worksheet 3-1 on page 32 of Pub 17 has been around for ages (IRS stole it from H&R Block decades ago), and there is nothing better. Photocopy it and go to work with a pencil (and eraser). It was originally designed for what is now the qualifying relative support test, but with a little thought you can use it for qualifying child as well. Besides giving an excellent breakdown of support factors, it is how we know that AFDC and SSI are considered to be third party support.

Thank you. I use the one in Pub 17 but I was hoping ATX had one that I couldn't find..

>>I was hoping ATX had one <<

I suppose it might be nice to have a computer version that recalculates automatically, but the math is really very simple. Whenever I do one there are always lots of changes. The client has no idea what the actual food bill is, so she picks a number that she used ten years ago for food stamps and when we get to the bottom it doesn't work. Then we have to play around with everything until a realistic budget emerges.

For me, it is much easier to do that with a paper being passed back and forth. I wouldn't even type in the finished version; somehow a neat printout lacks authenticity.