ATX Community

Need help with entering dependent info

taxdan

I want to enter multiple dependents for client to claim HOH and EIC, but don't want client to claim 2 of the 3 kids for child tax credit and exemption purposes. Client is letting non custodial parent claim them. In 2006 and 2007 program, you can click a box that says "check to not claim dependent this year". There is no such box in the 2005 program and was wondering how I go about doing that. If anyone remembers that far back, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Dan

I just pulled up my 2005 program and there appears to be the same process. Under the tab of dependents you can check and/or uncheck depending on EIC and child tax credit. I would try this with each to make sure the information flows to the EIC and child tax credit parts of the return.

I want to enter multiple dependents for client to claim HOH and EIC, but don't want client to claim 2 of the 3 kids for child tax credit and exemption purposes. Client is letting non custodial parent claim them. In 2006 and 2007 program, you can click a box that says "check to not claim dependent this year". There is no such box in the 2005 program and was wondering how I go about doing that. If anyone remembers that far back, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Dan

Dan, Go to the Schedule EIC and click on the Qualifying Child Tab. At the bottom of that form, there is a section (highlighted in blue), that you can add Qualifying Child Information for just the EIC. Don't forget to check the box on the left side for each child. Hope that helps. Neil