ATX Community

Changing S/E tax reported on wrong social security #

elabre

Has anyone ever reported S/E tax using the wrong social security number? If so, how did you resolve it?

My problem is so boneheaded. Spouse has a small business with a small yearly net profit of around 3-4,000 (no W-2). Since 2002, I have actually had the husband as the business owner (major oops!!). The self employment tax has been recorded under his name. Client came in with earnings report that shows zero earnings since 2002.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Has anyone ever reported S/E tax using the wrong social security number? If so, how did you resolve it?

My problem is so boneheaded. Spouse has a small business with a small yearly net profit of around 3-4,000 (no W-2). Since 2002, I have actually had the husband as the business owner (major oops!!). The self employment tax has been recorded under his name. Client came in with earnings report that shows zero earnings since 2002.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I did something similar to what you did. I had been preparing a tax return for the spouse (female) for several years and she is self-employed. When she got married I continued to prepare her taxes. In the year she got married, I changed her name to the spouse's spot on the return but I neglected to chance the schedule C to indicate that she was now the spouse---needless to say, the social security was reported under the husband's name for two years until I realized the mistake tha I had made. I contacted several people at the IRS and the social security administration with no straight answers. The last time that I contacted the IRS they adviced me to prepare amended tax returns to correct the error --- I did and the problem was resolved. I asked the taxpayer to look at her yearly summary that the social security administration provides and it ws corrected. When I prepared the amended returns, I attached a note to the front of the return explaining why I was amending the return eventhough the explanation was also included on page 2 of the amended return.

I did something similar to what you did. I had been preparing a tax return for the spouse (female) for several years and she is self-employed. When she got married I continued to prepare her taxes. In the year she got married, I changed her name to the spouse's spot on the return but I neglected to chance the schedule C to indicate that she was now the spouse---needless to say, the social security was reported under the husband's name for two years until I realized the mistake tha I had made. I contacted several people at the IRS and the social security administration with no straight answers. The last time that I contacted the IRS they adviced me to prepare amended tax returns to correct the error --- I did and the problem was resolved. I asked the taxpayer to look at her yearly summary that the social security administration provides and it ws corrected. When I prepared the amended returns, I attached a note to the front of the return explaining why I was amending the return eventhough the explanation was also included on page 2 of the amended return.

Thanks for your reply Gloria. I didn't want to spend my time spinning my wheels this time of the year by calling. My only concern is that the problem began in 2002.