ATX Community

FTC vs FTC & FEIE optimization

BearAhamN

All - Currently I am testing out the 2017 ATX trial software. I have used GoSystem, CCH Prosystem Fx and CCh Axcess previously. Now as a self employed, I need help with an input in ATX. Is there a way to optimize between foreign tax credit and foreign tax credit with foreign Earned income exclusion and housing, and preview the results? I can do the manual calculations with or without to force one option or the other, but just wanted to know if it is possible with a check box? Thanks. 

I don't know the specific answer to your question, but there's a work-around I use in Drake and I think I used it in ATX as well (back a long time ago when I was using ATX).  When I'm running any type of scenario, I enter the relevant info in a sub-schedule or worksheet in both locations.  Then I enter a corresponding negative entry in one of the worksheets to null out the original entry.  That gives me the result using location "B".  Then I delete the negative entry in location "A", enter a negative entry in location "B", and note that result. 

When I decide which is best, I delete the entire form for the entry I'm not going to use. This approach has the advantage of keeping me aware that one or the other entries must appear on the final return. Sometimes it's too easy to get lost in the weeds when running scenarios.

• Like 2