ATX Community

ARIZONA STATE TAX QUESTION

YUKEM68

MY CLIENT MOVED TO ARIZONA MID YEAR. THEIR ONLY INCOME IS RETIREMENT AND SOCIAL SECURITY. ON FORM 140PY LINE B15 IT SHOWS AS OTHER INCOME. SHOULD I SHOW THIS INCOME AS ARIZONA INCOME TOO FOR HALF A YEAR? IT IS NOT EARNED INCOME. IT IS A RETIREMENT. I AM CONFUSED. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Two things..

First a gentle reminder that typing in all caps on a message board is generally interpreted as yelling. I know a lot of people keep the cap lock on most of the time, but the message board is generally not a good place for all caps.

Second, although I don't know beans about the specifics of income taxation in Arizona, your clients probably came from a different state when they moved to Arizona. They would be part year residents in each of the respective states. Most states have tax returns for part-year residents, where you apportion their income. You likely need to file a return for each state.

Yes you need to show the amount of the "other income" (taxable SS I am asumming) this part of the part year is used for a percetage caclution for the Personal expetion

But Arizona does not tax tax SS benfits (line D33)

also if the retirment is from a government agency, school pension, public service pension, the is a $2500 for each tax payer when they have this income (line D35)

An yes you get the full standard deduction on a part year return or your itemized paid in AZ which ever is greater

hope this helps

Yes you need to show the amount of the "other income" (taxable SS I am asumming) this part of the part year is used for a percetage caclution for the Personal expetion

But Arizona does not tax tax SS benfits (line D33)

also if the retirment is from a government agency, school pension, public service pension, the is a $2500 for each tax payer when they have this income (line D35)

An yes you get the full standard deduction on a part year return or your itemized paid in AZ which ever is greater

hope this helps

Thank You for your help!