ATX Community

8332 and late filed returns

Max W

19 hours ago, TaxPreparer said:

It will be accepted for release of claim as long as it is correctly filled out for that year, revocation has different rules. 

It is still required if everyone lives in the same household if the parent claiming them is not the custodial parent. 

What reference do you have to back up these statements?

The way I understand it, if grandparents, daughter and 3 grandchildren (from daughter) all reside in the same house, both GP.'s and mother can be custodial parents.  Since the GP's have a higher AGI they can claim any of the grandchildren.    Form 8332 is to allow claims by a non-custodial parent, non-custodial meaning not living with the children.

Well, I don't know what you are reading.  The first part of my question is the 8332 permissible for prior years.  The form itself - Part 1 - says ....... Current year.  That is ambiguous as it could mean only 2018, or it could mean the year, i.e. 2014 that the form is being filed with.

The second question clearly is not addressed.  It is addressed in Pub 501, page 16, Ex. 1, 2, 3.  Example  1 is what I am dealing with and it is clear that the parent can voluntarily allow the grandmother to claim the child as a dependent.

BTW, if you are going to use a reference to back up a statement you have made, you should either quote the text, or point to the the part of the text that supports your claim.