ATX Community

MFS Dependent Care Exclusion

PaulH

Husband and wife both have $1500 Dependent Care Benefits (W-2 Box 10) for the same child (and paid over $3,000 of child care expenses), file MFS because they save more in Ohio than it costs for the federal return. I know they can't claim the dependent care credit, but think they should both be able to exclude the benefit. However, the second spouse's efile is rejected (error code 0526) because the child's SSN has already been used for that purpose. How do both claim the exclusion?

Thanks,

Paul

>>You could try "paper filing" return with a letter of explanation... <<

Come on, folks. The whole point of the new qualifying child rules was to eliminate this kind of nonsense. The kid can only be a qualifying child on one return at a time. There are special rules in the case of separated parents, but it's still only one return for any given benefit. So I wasn't joking when I said have a new baby. Different kids is the only way to put the same benefit on both returns.

But go ahead and paper file with a letter of explanation, for sure. The IRS gets so many millions of returns, anything we can do to get them to focus special attention on our own client has got to be a good thing, right?