ATX Community

2848 Question

JJStephens

I have started having all my clients sign a 2848 as a precaution. My question is when to send them in. Should I send them immediately or wait till there is a need and then fax it on a case-by-case basis?

I know that if a 2848 is present the EF Info sheet defaults to adding it to the 8453 this year; however, I think that is only required if the 8879 signer is the POA. I don't sign the 8879s; therefore, I have been routinely unchecking that box (I hope that by doing so I haven't caused irreparable global warming/cooling or some other horrible malady).

I have started having all my clients sign a 2848 as a precaution. My question is when to send them in. Should I send them immediately or wait till there is a need and then fax it on a case-by-case basis?

I know that if a 2848 is present the EF Info sheet defaults to adding it to the 8453 this year; however, I think that is only required if the 8879 signer is the POA. I don't sign the 8879s; therefore, I have been routinely unchecking that box (I hope that by doing so I haven't caused irreparable global warming/cooling or some other horrible malady).

If your clients are signing the returns, then unchecking the POA box isn't an issue. No mass hysteria or killer comets, either.

>>I have started having all my clients sign a 2848 as a precaution<<

What are you being so precautious about? Do you expect all your clients to have a sudden need for representation, so urgent they don't even have time to stop by and sign a form (not to mention signing an engagement letter after telling you what they want from such representation)?

You are already authorized to handle basic questions during the current tax year by checking the 3rd party designee box. A POA carries specific legal obligations that you should not accept without additional instructions and an overall plan (not to mention an additional fee).

I spent much of last year working for a CPA who did them routinely, and sent them in immediately and used them mostly to get transcripts from IRS online. This is very useful in the fall, when clients have already lost much of the information they should have brought you but didn't.

Myself, I ask for them only if a) I have reason to think the information is incomplete, and I want the transcript or B) if I have reason to expect IRS to have inquiries about that particular return. In which case I send them in immediately so that I receive copies of any IRS correspondence before the client gets the letter and panics.