ATX Community

NEW COLLECTION AGENCIES

Lee B

"The Internal Revenue Service has awarded contracts to three private collection agencies for collection of overdue tax debts. The new contracts begin Thursday, Sept. 23, when old collection-agency contracts expire.

The three agencies are:

CBE Group Inc., PO Box 2217, Waterloo, Iowa, 50704; (800) 910-5837; 

Coast Professional Inc., PO Box 526, Albion, New York, 14411; (888) 928-0510; and,

ConServe, PO Box 307, Fairport, New York, 14450; (844) 853-4875.

The IRS stressed that it always notify a taxpayer before transferring their account to a collection agency. First, the service will send a letter to the taxpayer and their tax rep informing them that their account was assigned to a collection agency and giving the name and contact information for the agency."

• Thanks 1

All this time, the only way our clients would know it wasn't a scam was because the IRS never calls you. I think this might go sideways real quick. 

Then again, I have always told my clients to contact me first if they get any communication from ANY taxing source. So, it's also job security. 

• Like 1

The use of collection agencies by the IRS has been how the IRS has responded to political pressure from our elected representatives.

Unfortunately over the years, the statistics show that these collection agencies have collected a very small % of the account balances turned over to them.