ATX Community

WILL THE SCAMS EVER END?

Lee B

Other Accountants who use the same Payroll Software as me are reporting that their clients are receiving email requests

appearing to be from their employees requesting changes to their direct deposit information.

In several instances, their clients went ahead with the changes. Of course their employees received nothing.

• Thanks 2

As long as even the tiniest percentage of folks give out their banking info, it is profitable for the nefarious types.  No different than "I have left over asphalt from a neighbor's job" or "this is the most powerful vacuum on earth" (my fav, since an outlet only provides 15 or 20 amps, and IIRC, most UL approved vacuums are limited to 12 amps or something similar).  I have a faint memory of someone trying to make email sending have some fraction of a cent cost - to try to make the large spammers find spamming unprofitable.

We have about four no soliciting signs at various conspicuous places in our yard, and a locked porch gate.  We still get folks who ignore the signs, and randomly a few who try to reach over the porch with a stick or other object to knock on the door.  Funny to watch on security camera!

On the other hand, my bank called me a couple of times last week.  Even left a message.  I called them back, and they were not sure what the calls were for in a timely fashion.  The problem was actually real, they changed their electronic systems, front and back end, and my auto payments needed to be reset.  I figured it out by not getting the usual notice of a payment being triggered.  While I did complain to the bank, the responsibility is always mine to pay my own bills.  The bank offered to clean up any issues with late auto bill payments, should they occur.

In past times, when there were less jobs than employees, such mistakes described in the OP would have been good reason to start searching for a replacement employee.

• Like 3