ATX Community

S Corp and Real Estate

Patrick Michael

I have been reading up on why it is usually a bad idea for an S Corp to own real estate.  Most makes sense but there is one phrase that I'm not understanding.  When it is said that "Contributions of appreciated property into an S-Corporation are subject to tax when the shareholder owns less than 80% of the corporation’s majority vote, and value after the transfer occurs", what does "value after the transfer occurs" mean?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

11 hours ago, DANRVAN said:

and 80% of the value of the corporation must be held by the controlling group immediately after the transfer occurs.

That got to bugging me.  For control purposed of section 351, there is reference to section 368(c) which basically defines control as possessing 80% of all classes of stock.  

12 hours ago, Patrick Michael said:

"value after the transfer occurs" mean?

That might apply to certain corporate reorganizations, but not to a  a 351 transfer that I am aware of.

On 12/22/2021 at 7:22 AM, Patrick Michael said:

Most makes sense but there is one phrase that I'm not understanding.  When it is said that "Contributions of appreciated property into an S-Corporation are subject to tax when the shareholder owns less than 80% of the corporation’s majority vote, and value after the transfer occurs",

I am curious as to where you saw that phrase.