ATX Community

Trying to e-file a stimulus return

Janitor Bob

All I want to do is file this 1040A return for an elderly couple that normally would not need to file. They have interest and social security so the return includes a 1099-INT and 1099-R. No refund or balance due, of course.

If I check the box for "Stimulus Only" return, I get an error message that only forms 1040A, 8901, and W-2 are allows.

If I do not check the box for "Stimulus Only" return, I get an error that direct deposit information cannot be entered if no refund....

Someone Help please!

You will either have to do just a Stimulus return with information allowed... and do the direct deposit, or do a complete return without direct deposit.

Doesn't seem to be any way around the way the software is set up.

Either way they should get their rebate... it just depends on whether they really want direct deposit or can wait for a paper check.

You will either have to do just a Stimulus return with information allowed... and do the direct deposit, or do a complete return without direct deposit.

Doesn't seem to be any way around the way the software is set up.

Either way they should get their rebate... it just depends on whether they really want direct deposit or can wait for a paper check.

IRS is pretty picky about what they'll allow as a stimulus return. If the pension and interest amounts don't create a tax amount, don't include them unless you need some interest to get the efile to create. IRS still requires something for AGI.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/1346fs12.pdf

See Reject Code 0249.