ATX Community

Just received a reject, what do I do?

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I just received a reject because either the ex or the daughter claimed the dependent . They have already sent in their $20,??? payment with the voucher. If I have them paper file, will it be considered late, because I didn't have an extension? They don't live in town, so it will take me at least a day to get them another return. I have another reject to do for the very same reason. I was afraid the the son had claimed himself, because he moved out in 08 and probably didn't talk to his dad before he filed his return. I'm not concerned about it, because it's a refund either way.

Thanks!

Bonnie

There are two ways to handle this. Take the dependent off and file the return then file amended returns if wanted, you have a short period of time after the rejection to resubmit elecronically, not exactly sure how long. I also have one that I have to take care fo today. If you paper file submit a copy of the efile ack history with the return.

hope this helps

If I have them paper file, will it be considered late, because I didn't have an extension?

Per the Handbook:

Resubmission of Rejected Tax Returns

If the IRS rejects the electronic portion of a taxpayer’s individual income tax return

for processing and the reason for the rejection cannot be rectified, the ERO must take

reasonable steps to inform the taxpayer of the rejection within 24 hours.When the

ERO advises the taxpayer that the return has not been filed, the ERO must provide the

taxpayer with the reject code(s) accompanied by an explanation. If the taxpayer

chooses not to have the electronic portion of the return corrected and transmitted to

the IRS or if it cannot be accepted for processing by the IRS, the taxpayer must file a

paper return. In order to be filed timely, the paper return must be filed by the later of

the due date of the return or ten calendar days after the date the IRS gives notification

that the electronic portion of the return is rejected or that it cannot be accepted for

processing. The paper return should include an explanation of why the return is being

filed after the due date