ATX Community

Transfer MyTel Number

joelgilb

Ok, this is not tax related.

My business telephone is with Vonage. Vonage is in financial trouble thanks mainly to 2 law suits from Verizon and now Sprint (I think Sprint). I am concerned that if they go out of business I will lose my business number that I have had years. But since I really like the features and service of Vonage, don't want to switch until it is inevitable that they will go under.

Does anyone know what happens to my number if they go under and I didn't transfer my number to another provider before this happens?

Joel, I also use vonage for 4 lines, and think their features are the best and best value. If they go under, I believe the business would stay intact, and be rescued with shareholders losing all or most value. It is a valuable business and to throw it away completely does not seem reasonable. Hope I am not overly optimistic (like I was with CCH's recent purchase).

Personally I like Magic-Jack... except of course tht it doesn't have a stand-alone unit.

It seems to work fine, but you can't port your phone number yet. As soon as you can, I'm moving my landline # and dropping the $40 a month line!

I got it for a fax line but can only send and not receive. Oh well, works good for voice service.

I have been doing some research here. Vonage's future is definately a question. Not only did they lose a major law suit to Verizon, they have one with Sprint for more patent infringement that they will most likely lose. There lifeline depends on them being able to get long term financing of 245 million by October of this year and with the tightenng of funds, could be a problem.

I also looked into what happened Sun Rocket, one of Vonage's competitors. When they went under, a number of users did lose their number, but it appears that it was due to them not being ready and reacting quickly enough to transfer it.

I have actually considered Verizon's (the CCH of phones) Voicewing VOIP product, just to insure I don't lose my numbers. I now I can port my main number, but not sure if I can port my "Virtual Number". I have an original tel # from Chicago area but added a virtual one in Las Vegas as I am relocating there and don't want to lose either.

Voicewing's features are essentially the same, except it looks like I would lose the email Voicemail I have come to rely on and just get email notifications. I also have a problem going the big guy that used the axe that chopped down my tree!

Looking into other VOIP providers and have found a few with features I want, but most are fairly small companies and I do not trust that they will survive at this time, so I feel my business number is to important to port them