ATX Community

Can he do this?

BulldogTom

Here is the situation. General partnership with farm land as the only asset. 3 equal partners. They are selling the farm land and then closing the partnership down. One partner wants to structure his portion as a 1031 exchange (sounds like I need Jainen). The others want to sell and take the profits. Can this partner do this?

I am not touching this with a ten foot pole. It is way over my head, but I would like to know if it can be done, and if so, how?

You may flog me in public now.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Right - because he does not own the land, just an interest in the partnership. And partnership interests cannot be exchanged.

BUT - Could the partnership distribute 1/3 of the property to him in liquidation and then he take his third and exchange it for other investment property?

You can beat me with a bigger stick now.

Tom

Lodi, CA

>>then he take his third and exchange it<<

Sure--if he HOLDS it for business or investment use over a couple of years first. Or the partnership can (if they are very careful) do the exchange now and hold the replacement property for a couple of years, and then distribute it. But he can't use Section 1031 with a partnership interest, and he can't change ownership in the middle of an exchange.

Thanks Jainen. You are bringing back memories from my partnership classes. I always hated those classes, because it was always about property transactions that were designed to avoid taxes. It is something I don't use very much, and I need some reminders about the rules.

Someday I am going to grow up to be just like you!!!!!

Tom

Lodi, CA