ATX Community

Form 2848 and 8821

mcbreck

Does anyone automatically do a 2848 for each client with the 3 future years so that you can talk to the IRS about their issues in the future? Every three years everyone could just sign a new form.

How about the 8821, do you automatically have clients sign that form each year so you can get the transcripts when/ if you need it?

I've seen that preparers do the 2848, charge a fee every three years to update the paperwork and then they can always talk with the IRS about a client's situation.

Because of the legal implications of the 2848, I do not get one unless needed (think about a former client who has moved and you're the only one getting their IRS notices).

I am a big advocate for collecting 8821's from clients and checking their accounts in late October.  I do not charge for the service, I just want to know that if there is a problem with an account, we can fix it before the IRS takes action.  I'm currently going through 2022 returns and unfortunately, Transcript Delivery is acting funky--it's working but everything is in plain text.

I believe with the Tax Pro Account, there is a new method for cleaning up your POA's.  When I left H&R Block in 2011, I had to use the Freedom of Information Act to clean mine up.

I might add, I do know preparers who require the 8821 of all clients; I don't, but I try and point out all the advantages.

• Like 3