ATX Community

E-filing Trust Income Tax Return

David

Can we still e-file an estate tax return that is on a fiscal year? The estate 1041 was prepared in the 2007 program. I don't have the activation code for the 2008 program yet. However, that shouldn't matter should it?

The efile was created, however, I have had an efile that was created be rejected and the message says that it has to be paper filed. I don't want the client to sign the efile authorization form and then I have to tell them that I can't efile the return.

Thanks,

David

Can we still e-file an estate tax return that is on a fiscal year? The estate 1041 was prepared in the 2007 program. I don't have the activation code for the 2008 program yet. However, that shouldn't matter should it?

The efile was created, however, I have had an efile that was created be rejected and the message says that it has to be paper filed. I don't want the client to sign the efile authorization form and then I have to tell them that I can't efile the return.

Thanks,

David

So the estate's tax year started in 2007 and ended in 2008 right? For that, you want to file a 2007 tax return (but make sure to put in correct fiscal year info on the top.) The information is available in the 1041 instructions http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1041.pdf page 9 left column right where it talks about "Period covered." So you are in the right year tax software.

Business returns have something like til the end of the year. I don't see why an estate return would be different, but I don't konw. Do you know what the reject error code you got was?