ATX Community

Depreciation & ATX

Laurie P

Hi all,

I have a 1120-S that I am removing a vehicle (100%) and converting to personal use as of 01-01-06. I have completed the disposition worksheet and put in all the information...

Before considering this, the depreciation for the year on two vehicles is $7,987.16. After the disposition the depreciation should be $6,212.16. On page one of the 1120-S the depreciation expense is still showing as $7, 987.16 and not $6,212.16. Is there something I am missing here for this not to flow right in the program? Any help would really be appreciated. I have spend 30 minutes playing with this and still am stumped.

Thanks,

Laurie

Don't feel dumb, it is easy to overlook a simple step from time to time. Dumb would be not asking!

KC - I take back the part to it flowing correctly..

Cost 30,600

A/D 19,973

Book value @ 01-01-06 $10,627

On the asset tab, I changed to 0% which removed the depreciation for the current year

now, going over to the distribution tab...If I change to 0% the cost is gone so there is a gain. I should keep it at a 100% on this tab correct?

Then, I would need to go to the K-1 (Page 3 of 1120-S) and enter the amount in the property distribution snd it will flow to the M-3. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Laurie

You have probably done it but just to mention the fact that an asset distributed to a shareholder of an S-corp must be treated as a sale at FMV, therefore it should show up as a gain or loss on form 4797.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the post. From what I read I did not see anything regarding the 4797. Only to record the balance of the book value against distributions or that is that it will reduce the basis of the SH. I am sorry to ask so much here but this is the first time that I have done an vehicle asset conversion to personal. I want to make sure that I am handling correctly so going forward I am ok when I have it come up again.

If the 4797 is to be done then am I suppose to use the "Force 4797" line on the disposition tab to do this? I guess I am confused. I selected this and the 4797 is blank...

Thoughts?

Laurie

The personal withdrawal feature of the Asset Schedule should not be available for a form 1120S corporation. Non-recognition of gain or loss is simply not allowed. Any asset of an S-corp must be treated as sold at FMV to the shareholder and reported as such on form 4797 or Sch-D as the case may be. In the case of a vehicle, it is usual, due to depreciation, that the FMV will result in a taxable gain to the S-corp. Depreciation upto gain will normally be recaptured as ordinary income. I would not use the feature of withdrawal to personal and show it as a normal sale at FMV, then an adjusting entry to the books to charge at FMV as a property distribution. The "Force 4797 might work.. I have never done it that way.

The personal withdrawal feature of the Asset Schedule should not be available for a form 1120S corporation. Non-recognition of gain or loss is simply not allowed. Any asset of an S-corp must be treated as sold at FMV to the shareholder and reported as such on form 4797 or Sch-D as the case may be. In the case of a vehicle, it is usual, due to depreciation, that the FMV will result in a taxable gain to the S-corp. Depreciation upto gain will normally be recaptured as ordinary income. I would not use the feature of withdrawal to personal and show it as a normal sale at FMV, then an adjusting entry to the books to charge at FMV as a property distribution. The "Force 4797 might work.. I have never done it that way.

Hi Jack,

I appreciate you input. This is the 1st scenerio that I have had with a vehicle disposal so I want to make sure that I do it correctly....

The Book value $10,627

The FMV (using Edmunds) is $8,875

So, when I complete the disposition sheet, I used $8,875 as the selling price. The loss of $1,752 flowed through to the 4797 part 1 ; flowed to K-1 net section 1231 (box 9); the $8,875 would be shown as a property distribution. Is this correct?

In my mind...

Dr. Loss $1,752

Dr. Accum Dep $19,973

Cr. Vehicle 30,600

Dr. Distribution $8,875

I appreciate your help here..

Laurie

Laurie.. I agree with your debits and credits except for possibly some depreciation for a part year if that has not already been included in accumulated depreciation to determine book value. If you handled this thru the asset disposition tab it would/should have taken a part year depreciation. The form 4797 and K-1 would appear to be correct if your FMV and book value is correct resulting in an allowable loss. Good work.

Laurie.. I agree with your debits and credits except for possibly some depreciation for a part year if that has not already been included in accumulated depreciation to determine book value. If you handled this thru the asset disposition tab it would/should have taken a part year depreciation. The form 4797 and K-1 would appear to be correct if your FMV and book value is correct resulting in an allowable loss. Good work.

Jack,

Thanks so much for your help! I am glad I am on the right track. Sometimes working on your own is great but you do not always have someone to ask. This board and few others are great and without them I could not imagine.

The asset was taken off at 01-01-06 so no deprecaition expense for the current year.

Again, I appreciateall your help.

Laurie