ATX Community

IRA Contribution rejection

NECPA in NEBRASKA

Just got my first ack back- rejected! It was my return and apparently somewhere in the e-file it says that I'm over 70 and can't make an IRA contribution. I don't know where it is, because I checked the dates that I havefor us and they are correct. How depressing! I'm twenty years older and haven't even made it through the first month of the season. I recreated it and hopefully, it will not kick back.

Just got my first ack back- rejected! It was my return and apparently somewhere in the e-file it says that I'm over 70 and can't make an IRA contribution. I don't know where it is, because I checked the dates that I havefor us and they are correct. How depressing! I'm twenty years older and haven't even made it through the first month of the season. I recreated it and hopefully, it will not kick back.

I saw another rejection for the exact same thing, so maybe it's just a bogus reject/IRS issue. Whenever you get an age rejection, with a very limited number of exceptions, it has to do with the date of birth the IRS has on file. Normally birthdates are not transmitted. Exceptions are when using the self select PIN method for 8879 (when you enter prior year AGI), and dependents for EIC (shows on Schedule EIC). Also shows up on an 8839 I think (adoption credit.) However even if one of those applies the rejection is based on IRS files not what you transmit.

So either IRS is giving you a bad rejection, or the IRS computers think you're over 70. If it rejects again try calling them, I'd love to know what they have to say about it. :)

This came from the ATX notices on the home page:

0448 ? "reserved" ?new reject--If taxpayer age is 70 1/2 at the end of tax year and IRA Deduction of Form 1040 (SEQ 0700) and Form 1040A (SEQ 0626) is significant, taxpayer cannot deduct any contributions to traditional IRA or treat them as nondeductible contributions for they are ineligible for IRA Deduction

If this is a new reject code, maybe they don't have the bugs worked out yet.

This came from the ATX notices on the home page:

0448 ? "reserved" ?new reject--If taxpayer age is 70 1/2 at the end of tax year and IRA Deduction of Form 1040 (SEQ 0700) and Form 1040A (SEQ 0626) is significant, taxpayer cannot deduct any contributions to traditional IRA or treat them as nondeductible contributions for they are ineligible for IRA Deduction

If this is a new reject code, maybe they don't have the bugs worked out yet.

ATTN: Software Developers, Return Transmitters and Authorized IRS e-file

Providers/EROs:

We are experiencing a problem with Error Reject Code 0448 rejecting returns

in error. The problem is being researched. When the problem has been

corrected, we will issue another Quick Alert. Error Reject Code 0448 reads:

Form 1040/1040A - If taxpayer age is 70 1/2 at the end of tax year and IRA

Deduction of Form 1040 (SEQ 0700) and Form 1040A (SEQ 0626) is significant,

taxpayer cannot deduct any contributions to traditional IRA or

treat them as nondeductible contributions for they are ineligible for IRA

Deduction.

----------

This has been an IRS e-file QuickAlert