ATX Community

Injured Spouse

ajuroff

Couple want to file injured spouse because of back child support the dad owes. It looks as if you can e-file the Federal thru including the injured spouse form. They do NOT want to file this way for Michigan. (They swear that Michigan will not take the refund for back child support and I am not up on that sort of stuff so I am taking their word)

Anyway....If I efile the Federal thru with the injured spouse form, will Michigan think that they are wanting to file as injured spouse with them also?

Michigan will send them a form for injured spouse-- after they file Fed and Mich returns. They have 10 days to fill it out and send it back ... or they won't get the benefit of injured spouse worksheet. (In michigan you cannot get the form and fill it out and send in with return; you have to wait for them to send it to you.) If they don't send it back Michigan will process return as usual EXCEPT for the delay while they wait to see if you send back the form.

I suppose if they file MFS for Michgian then they wouldn't get the delay.... but they wouldn't get their homestead credit without a hassle either--or maybe never!

Taxtrio