ATX Community

Single or MFS

Lucho

Taxpayer living and working in USA needs to file for the first time. He got his work permit last year. His wife lives in Central America (she has never being in the USA).

If filing MFS (claiming 0 dependents) credts will be an issue, If filing single, I do not find anything in favor or against. Reading about Filing Status in Pub 17 don't give me an answer about this situation. Does anyone knows if the fact that he married in another country won't matter if he files Single?

Any comment will appreciated.

meanwhile, I will continue checking on Tax Treaties with the particular country he came from.

Thank you.

Lucho

Taxpayer living and working in USA needs to file for the first time. He got his work permit last year. His wife lives in Central America (she has never being in the USA).

If filing MFS (claiming 0 dependents) credts will be an issue, If filing single, I do not find anything in favor or against. Reading about Filing Status in Pub 17 don't give me an answer about this situation. Does anyone knows if the fact that he married in another country won't matter if he files Single?

Any comment will appreciated.

meanwhile, I will continue checking on Tax Treaties with the particular country he came from.

Thank you.

Lucho

Make them MFJ and apply for an ITIN.

So? Does she have any income? The forms can be mailed off and the required information mailed to him. This of course won't get an instant refund but it will probably provide the best tax outcome.

Otherwise MFS just sucks... ?

Thank you for your recomendation.

Lucho

I agree, they are MFJ regardless of which country they were married in which will return the best refund. If she does not have an ITIN. Then apply for it with the tax return. I am not sure, but I think you can now e-file the return with the W-7 attached. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Terry D.

I agree, they are MFJ regardless of which country they were married in which will return the best refund. If hse does not have an ITIN. Then apply for it with the tax return. I am not sure, but I think you can now e-file the return with the W-7 attached. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Terry D.

Thank you Terry D

I"ll talk to the taxpayer again during this week.

Lucho