ATX Community

Entering wash sales from mutual fund sales

Charley in Ohio

I am entering in some mutual sale transactions into ATX and on some of them, a portion of the loss was disallowed as a wash sale (per the mutual fund company). Since the entire loss wasn't disallowed, I am not sure how to enter it so I don't get a warning. What I did was enter the actual transaction in and then on another line entered a negative amount to my cost basis so it would show a gain and then selected the wash sale code (4). However, I get an error code when I do this. I will probably paper file this return anyway, but was wondering if anyone had run into this and had another way to enter it. Thanks!

I am entering in some mutual sale transactions into ATX and on some of them, a portion of the loss was disallowed as a wash sale (per the mutual fund company). Since the entire loss wasn't disallowed, I am not sure how to enter it so I don't get a warning. What I did was enter the actual transaction in and then on another line entered a negative amount to my cost basis so it would show a gain and then selected the wash sale code (4). However, I get an error code when I do this. I will probably paper file this return anyway, but was wondering if anyone had run into this and had another way to enter it. Thanks!

I had trouble last week with this, and I am not looking at the Sch D instructions, but I believe they said to enter "Wash Sale" in the description column, and the amount of the disallowed loss (as a positive #) in the last column. That's all IRS wants, and ATX just doesn't work that way. Or, it didn't for me.

Wow, I had trouble. I had to override, and I believe I finally had to put "Disallowed Loss / Wash Sale" as the description to get it done. (Which is unfortunate, cause when the taxpayer sees the words "Disallowed Loss" she's gonna require an explanation that she won't like and/or understand.)

Anyhow, I finally got it like I thought it should be. Sorry, I can't say about the e-file, client is in her eighties and would never stand for such.

I had trouble last week with this, and I am not looking at the Sch D instructions, but I believe they said to enter "Wash Sale" in the description column, and the amount of the disallowed loss (as a positive #) in the last column. That's all IRS wants, and ATX just doesn't work that way. Or, it didn't for me.

Wow, I had trouble. I had to override, and I believe I finally had to put "Disallowed Loss / Wash Sale" as the description to get it done. (Which is unfortunate, cause when the taxpayer sees the words "Disallowed Loss" she's gonna require an explanation that she won't like and/or understand.)

Anyhow, I finally got it like I thought it should be. Sorry, I can't say about the e-file, client is in her eighties and would never stand for such.

Thanks. I'll try that and see what happens.