ATX Community

MI RES - MA UNEMPLOYMENT ISSUE

taxbrewster

I have a client who is a res in MI (earned all income in MI). But received 4k in unemployment from MA. (i know the rules are weird, never worked in MA, but files a claim there)

I can't for the life of me figure out the following...

Should a NR return be filed for MA? I don't think so because it is under 8k for filling requirements.

Therefore, it should not be excluded on of MI return correct?

Then, it is just added to MI AGI, correct. I don't feel a PY/NR sch would be filed for the MI return.

Thanks, it is one of those days, and have not done a MA return before and need a little help.

Thanks in advance.

Michigan full year resident cannot exclude income on the NR. Only part year residents can use that schedule.

Michigan taxes ALL income of a resident unless specifically excludable by Michigan Law. i.e. pension, e bond interest and the like. If MA is taxing him on the unemployment income also then he can claim a tax credit for income tax paid to another state. Because the income is "double taxed" you can reduce the Michigan taxes by claiming a credit for the MA tax paid on the same income. (Must attach a copy of the MA return to the Michigan.)

Taxtrio

Michigan