ATX Community

1099 G e-file error

imjulier

Hmmmm-

I've never had this problem before but today I go to create and e-file with a 1099G in it with no address. The Colorado 1099Gs don't have an address and I've never filled in the address field although I enter the name, city, state, and tax ID. Get an error that says the 1099G requires an address. Call customer service to say I haven't entered an address in this field in 5 years I have been with ATX including about 40 retruns e-filed already this year. Cusotmer service says this has always been a required field and the last time any changes were made to this field and this error filter were january 2nd 2009. So I ask how I was able to e-file all my other returns. They don't know since its always been required.

Just venting.

Julie

There is no 1099-G sent with the federal return.

http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=204167,00.html

You'll note it has W-2's, W-2G's, 1099-R's, etc. Not 1099-G, as a 1099-G doesn't get filed with the return. So it is very stupid.

There is at least one state that requires 1099-G information, but it's only transmitted in the state efile image. Pretty certain it's not Colorado. If I had to guess, they may have required the 1099-G for all returns because it's required on the 2% of returns that include that state. Dumb. If it's just for a state refund, can you just override the amount in and not have a 1099-G at all?

Oh well. Not so bent out of shape today about it. I had tried using words yesterday like KC suggested but apparently, the program could tell it wasn't a valid address so I still got the error. Looked up the address on the web and input that so it worked. I just still find it odd that customer service insists this has always been a required field and yet I've never entered it in the past (including just last week) and haven't had any problems e-filing. Oh well, I just jotted the address on a sticky note and posted it on my computer so I can laways find it.

Julie

The message isn't stupid if the state being transmitted requires the info for the efile to be accepted. And even though it may have been okay last year, the state could have added the validation this year.

OK, I was totally wrong on that one. Colorado does take the 1099G electronically now.

Only withholding schedules reporting Colorado income tax withheld need to be transmitted to Colorado. If a

withholding schedule does not contain an amount of Colorado income tax withheld, it does not need to be

transmitted.

FORM 1099G

For tax year 2008, Colorado will require the transmission of the form 1099G for Colorado income tax

withheld from Colorado Unemployment Compensation. To indicate that the state tax withheld is for

“Colorado”, the payer’s state in IRS sequence number 0070 (Payer’s State) must equal “CO”.

So it should only give you issue if there is state withholding.

The message isn't stupid if the state being transmitted requires the info for the efile to be accepted. And even though it may have been okay last year, the state could have added the validation this year.

You misunderstood what I was saying was dumb. If the state, or for that matter the feds, REQUIRE that data, then that data should have been on the 1099G that the state sends out. THAT was what I meant was dumb, requiring an address but not providing the address.