ATX Community

SCHEDULE E & property taxes

MargaretMort

I am trying to finish a tax return that has plagued me for a couple of weeks--always find one more thing to question and want further info about. Right now I am reviewing the entire return to make sure I have entered everything--too many pieces of paper and too much information--and I was double checking the property tax info for the Sch A. There is a line that says Rental Property Tax from Sch E. Client co-owns with her 2 sisters 2 pieces of property . Both are showing losses--depreciation caused--that are carrying forward. Can I take her share of the property taxes and move them to her Sch A. Seems like a good move to take advantage of the deduction now rather than waiting. I will look up some info but was wondering if I am in the right. MM

Generally, you should not move rental properties' real estate taxes and interest from Schedule E to Schedule A. Business expense, passive activity, and all those rules you would be circumventing.

Sometimes you can when it is based on personal use limitations, however, not for other reasons.